How to pose for photos? Part I.
Are you the type of person that never knows how to pose for pictures? All you need is PRACTICE, move with easiness, CONFIDENCE and creativity.
The most important thing is to be RELAXED. In spite of some external factors that might distract you or make you uncomfortable, try to look like you are very calm and having so much fun.
What may disturb us?
- Cold, hot, wind, rain, sun… Forget about everything. You have to think “I am fabulous, I am fabulous” even if the wind blows your hair away, it is ok, it is natural.
- The photographer. If you and the person taking the pictures just had an argument, or you don’t feel comfortable with him/her, just focus on the camera, do your best, forget about everything and start from zero. Try to break the ice, make some jokes…
- You have some audience and people looking around you. Do the same thing, forget about everything, about the people, act like no one exists in the world. Think about the cool photos you will get afterwards.
- The photographer is really bad: bad compositions, blurred shots… is not up to you, just choose another person to take your pictures. It’s hard to teach someone the basics of photography.
If you know you will have pictures taken, prepare yourself doing some research on the internet (Pinterest is fantastic!) or some magazines. Look how models pose, their attitude in front of the camera… You could practice first in front of a mirror, and also, you could prepare the clothes you will wear that make you feel confident to look cool on your photos. Same thing with hair and make up.
Here there are some suggestions:
- Before you start, get relaxed, don’t be tense, break free! You could do some warm-up exercises like dancing, singing, jumping…
- You could play some music that you like, or play the music in your head and feel it.
- Think about some accessories you are wearing, for example, sunglasses, a scarf, a hat, a jacket… and play with them.
- Where are you? Which environment? Are you in the beach? In a park bench? Same with accessories, play with the environment and be part of it.
- Be creative with your poses, head and body and facial expressions, and create different combinations.
- Turn your back and look at the camera
- Look to the front, but relax one leg, in painting is called contrapposto.
- Move to one side to the other side, with your head and with your eyes, but remember you don’t have to look necessarily all the time at the camera.
- Don’t make fake faces, fake smiles… Feel the surprise for real, feel the happiness for real!
- Avoid sexy faces that sometimes turn into scary faces.
- You can jump, you can send kisses, smile, you can laugh out loud! Ask the person taking the photos to tell some funny jokes.
- Lean against the wall
- If you have a preferred profile take advantage of it. Feel confident!
- Don’t frown, don’t wrinkle your nose, avoid facial expressions of discomfort. You could lookserious, but not angry. Try to express with your eyes.
- If you are with friends, interact all together, and have fun.
- Do many many pictures, so at the end you can choose the best ones.
- Be relaxed
- Have fun, enjoy the moment and be positive
- Open your mind
- Try to look natural, don’t fake, it’s the most important thing
- Forget about people looking at you, don’t be shy
- Be creative, try different poses
If we are comfortable and we are having fun, at the end you can see it on the final result, on the photos.
But if we start with “I can’t, I can’t” at the end it comes true. OPEN YOUR MIND, RELAX, it will be fine! Don’t be afraid of proposing new poses, you can keep taking more pictures, it will work out!